Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Rapunzel

I know I switch books a lot, but I found this really great volume of the Grimm Brother's Complete Fairy Tales. I read recently "Rapunzel" and it's different then what I was told when I was a little girl. This version involves the prince making love to Rapunzel and Rapunzel by accident tells the witch about the Prince. The witch then cuts off her hair and sends her off to a wood no one knows of. The prince comes one night but the witch is in the tower, not fair Rapunzel, and in his agony, jumps from the tower landing on rose bushes which scratch out his eyes. He then wanders the wood aimlessly for Rapunzel until many years later he hears the beautiful voice he knows oh too well. Rapunzel cries out with joy, her tears falling on his eyes, making him see again. He sees she has twin children and rejoices with his family. They live happily ever after.
Of course the version I was told didn't include the eyes being scratched out or the prince making love to her. This is written by the Grimm Brothers, however, so it is understood.

No comments:


My Favorite Books:

Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer
The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray
Rebel Angels by Libba Bray
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
Truth about Forever by .....
Tourist Trap by ....
Ophelia

My version of Twilight

My version of Twilight

My Blog List